Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Book Review: The Awakener by Amanda Strong


The Awakener by Amanda Strong
Clean Teen Publishing © 2014
Kindle Edition
Paranormal Romance
Reviewed by Leah

*Reviewer's Note: This review going to go in reverse order, at some points.  This won't be like my usual reviews.*


Summary:

When Eden returns to the town of her childhood, she's looking forward to very few things.  One of those things, however, is seeing Micah again.  However, when she spots him on her first day of school, she can't bring herself to face him.  That is, until her body acts of its own accord and she throws her arms around him in a moment of utter embarrassment.  Neither of them realized just how much one hug could mean to the future of everything.

With the reality of angels, demons, and destruction revealed to him, Micah fully accepts his responsibilities as the Seer--called by the Captain to save the world from a fiery purge.  Meanwhile, Eden cluelessly traverses High School, awakening the gifts of others as she goes.  Which is more than a source of ire for the demons sent to destroy her.  With her guardian angel on duty, however, she has the luxury of feeling safe … for the most part.

With the demons growing bolder and crossing the barriers between the worlds, Micah needs all of those Eden has awakened, and the Awakener herself.  In ways they both know go beyond their duty.  To rebuild the City of Enoch, no price is too high.  And self-sacrifice is not off the table.


Initial Thoughts:

I avoid angels and demons books like the plague.  Why?  Because I love angels--grew up watching Christopher Walken in The Prophecy--so I'm a little obstinate when faced with such creatures.  And, let's face it, when you're passionate about anything, you're always wary about books that portray them.

Well, I wasn't too disappointed with the portrayal of angels in this book.  Probably because the author had done some research on the hierarchies and integrated the angels in a way that was acceptable.

Now if only the rest of the book had been as agreeable.


Plot & Setting:

The setting here wasn't too detailed, but it was believable.  It was easy to imagine and it wasn't bogged down with a lot of details, which I appreciated.

As far as the plot, this isn't anything you have to use brain power on.  It's very simplistic, unfolds at a decent pace, and sticks to the main conflict for the most part.  (There are some HS drama type of moments, but they're used more often than not to showcase the changes someone has made due to being Awakened, so I can't fault it for that.)  There is a fairly early reveal about the stakes, the main players, and the mission which Micah is responsible for completing.  For the reader, it makes it very easy to follow along and know everything.

To discuss the actual mission: the world is going to be burnt to cinders this time, instead of drowned.  Fair enough.  Can't say we haven't earned that form of retribution.  Only, we need a few cities to survive this during this round of purging.  A fact Micah is significantly aware of, and working to prevent.

As a plot, it's compelling.  The premise of the story is intriguing and I was expecting a lot of tension.  On that count, it failed.  While the story is filled with Micah/Eden tensions, it fails to deliver on Micah/Eden vs. demons tension.  Despite this constantly circulating in Micah's head, it fails to deliver the compulsion the reader needs to want to keep going with him.  In fact, the only character that does push the significance of these events onto the reader is a secondary character, Trent.

To give it in the simplest terms: it was a lackluster production.


Writing Style:

Simple.  It's really all I can say.  The faith of the author is apparent, which I completely understand.  Despite the stance many people take on angels, this one feels pretty much authentic with angelic history within Christianity, while giving off its own modern vibes.  This, of course, means that this book is very clean.  Not "never have to dust it on your shelf" clean, but no use of swear words were permitted in the making of this novel.  The writing also follows a no-mystery-here type of style, which means this book would be most suitable for young teenagers around the ages thirteen or fourteen.  I'm not sure older, more mature individuals would have the patience that this book requires.  (I know I didn't.)


Characters:

Oi vey.  Actually, for the most part, I liked everyone.  Or, liked some, others were barely on the page long enough to form an opinion about, and others were downright unbearable.  So let's go in order, shall we?  Let's just say, from most liked to most hated.  This ought to be fun…  (Warning: Possible Rant on the Horizon!)


Trent was the most likable.  He had a very direct personality without any side-stepping going on.  What Trent thought about, you knew.  Whether it be his definition of a hot guardian angel or just what he thinks of his cousin's visions.  I liked Trent the most because he was as close as we got to a teenage boy.  His focus was on all of the things he liked, and he couldn't care about anything else.  Which, when you got past the fact that he was one horny little bugger (though this book only mentions kissing and not what he would get into given the right amount of time), he was actually very intelligent as far as history and languages.  And none could ever doubt the loyalty this boy has to his cousin.  Ever.


Micah's determination was the most defining factor of his characterization.  And it was admirable.  As soon as he discovers his role, his mind is locked in on his mission.  He knows what he has to do, and what he has to give up in order to do it.  The fact that he is so willing to give up his own desires in order to get the job done is what makes him a believable and respectable character.  Though his pining over Eden did grate the nerves quite a bit…


Damon is also an incredibly loyal person and I enjoyed when his character was brought to the fore.  Like a cross between Micah and Trent, he has this fierceness in him that is very endearing.  Much like Micah, he's determined to see through his part of the mission, and protect everyone as well as he possibly can.  I actually really liked Damon, but he didn't get enough page time to get to know him, which was a crying shame.


Willow was an interesting character in the fact that she started off as this bitchy, petty, stereotypical Mean Girl … and performed a complete one-eighty.  When she was Awakened, Willow became the greatest female character in the book.  She was confident, intelligent, empathic, instinctive, kind, and generous.  Which was refreshing as far as this book was concerned.  And it's really her bold, energetic personality that gives the group some life.


Now we're going to get to know some less fleshed-out characters as we get into the mere mediocre cast…


Caitlyn was quiet, but powerful.  Her gift is the most unassuming, just like she is.  Quiet, but with a voice that speaks of wisdom and sincerity.  Too bad she got only a few pages to nail down her personality, but she would be worth getting to know.


In my opinion, Andrew existed merely for the drama he could cause.  The romantic element was his main purpose, hands down.  That he was there as a buffer between Eden and Micah is what created the central conflict.  (Note: I labeled this as a Paranormal Romance for a reason.  The romance was the conflict.)  Which, of course, in fulfilling his role, Andrew had to be perfect.  And that's all we got.  Was this hot, nice guy who has a penchant for healing people who happens to love Eden.  That's it.  Nothing else.  He pretty much was just a stand-in to make kissy faces and awkward times with Eden.


And now we unveil my hit list (or cut list, because it would have helped the book in the end just as much as if I murdered these characters.  Warning: Rant Mode Engaged.)


Jessie was irritating as all hell.  This is a girl who's never even heard of the Bechdel test, let alone could pass it.  Her only thoughts all pertained to the male anatomy.  And heaven forbid she talk about something other than a boy.  And while she served as a decent female friend who was supportive, she failed in doing anything worthwhile.  At all.  Honestly, her character could have been cut from the start and no one would have noticed or cared.


Then there's Eden.  Yes, if I could, I would cut Eden out of the entire story.  Because she contributes nothing at all.  I mean that.  As the Awakener, all she does is hug people.  The rest of the time she serves as nothing more than a romantic stand-in.  It's like it was required for Micah to be in love with someone, and Eden got the role.  All she does is serve as a Damsel In Distress the entire book.  She can't save herself and she makes stupid decisions that threaten her safety and the safety of others.  Not to mention she is a shallow, judgmental bitch.  Oh, and I have quotes for this…

At only 15% we get this little thought process concerning Damon from Eden's outlook:

'She knew he belonged to the skater crowd and assumed he did drugs because of the dark bags under his eyes.'

I'm not even kidding.  This is a literal quote from the book.  I … I don't even know how to handle that amount of utter stupidity.  Does she even know what drugs do to a human body?  Or the type of effects a being would suffer due to certain types of drugs.  Clearly not.  Oh, and bags under the eyes?  That could be a sign of sleeping an average of four hours and reading an average of 8 a day.  I would know, since that's how I spent all of my HS years.  You, Eden, are a judgmental bitch.

Of course, that's not the end of her degrading thoughts about Damon.  Of all the people in this whole book, he's the one she consistently looks down upon and I just want to slap her because he is clearly more intelligent than she is and far more useful.  Eden = liability.  Damon = superhero.  But here's another quote for you to enjoy from the mind of a moron:

'But I doubt he's ever had a girlfriend as gorgeous as she is.'

Backstory: she's discussing how Damon finds Willow a little intimidating.  She thinks the reason he's wary around her is because Willow is hot.  Yes, Eden is that dumb.

Not that she would know it, but looks are not everything.  Even to guys.  (I have enough brothers to know this one is a fact.)  Rather, perhaps Damon is intimidated by Willow because, I don't know … she's intimidating.  Damon is a quiet, loner kind of individual as we've seen him.  So someone as bold, energetic, and confident as Willow is outside of his comfort zone.  And when she doesn't respect personal boundaries, it can be unnerving.  So, really, I doubt her looks had anything to do with this.  Her personality had all those bases covered and Damon has every right to be a little suspicious of her.  She's creepy.

If only my issues with eden ended with her being a standard Mary-Sue.  Really, I've read enough of them to just brush it off.  And I even had some hope for her after she realized she can't walk alone at night in case demons are out to get her.  There are a lot of YA females (can't even call them heroines) that don't have that much common sense.  Yet again, there are degrees of common sense that Eden just does not possess.

For one, not realizing that Gabriel, her guardian angel, was the Gabriel.  As in: the Archangel.  You know … a Holy.

You know, even Bella Swan sought an internet connection when Jacob Black dropped the vampire bomb.  Six months of literally talking aloud to her guardian angel and fearing demons, and does this girl once touch a laptop?  Yes, actually.  But only to email Micah about the demon encounter and her date with Andrew.  This girl was such a waste of pages.  Hands down.

Of course, my biggest issue with Eden is her insecurity.

Note to authors: Insecurity is NOT endearing.  It's not even relatable.

I've been to public school.  I've encountered several different levels of insecure teenagers.  Never in my life have I met someone so utterly self-conscious that s/he is reduced to the point of pathetic.  In YA fiction, however, they abound with so much frequency I could puke.  Eden, of course, falls right in line with her trope siblings--if she isn't crowned their idiot queen.

Now, I understand why authors try to do this whole insecure teenager bit.  Because a lot of teenagers actually are scared, frightened, shy creatures with anxiety issues.  Too many, in fact.  But with role models like these, how can we expect them to be any better?  Any stronger, mentally?

I don't want to read about weak children.  Male or female.  I want to read about strong, smart, endearing young men and women.  People teenagers can look up to and emulate.

Let me tell you a little story here: when I was in MS and HS, I read nothing but fantasy.  I raised myself on fantasy.  On wild adventures full of magic, dragons, wizards, brothers, warriors, and love.  I grew up reading about adults.  Not children.  The only books even considered "YA" that I read in those years were Harry Potter and Eragon.  (And I've never finished that last series because it was clearly juvenile.)

You know what I learned from those fantasy books?  I learned about honor; about keeping your word and the value of making and keeping promises.  (Now, I don't make promises; for the simply reason that I don't know if I can keep them.)  I learned not to lie; if only because the truth can be far more entertaining.  From those books, I grew my pride and my self-confidence.  My friends are chosen with care, because I abide by the old adage 'fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me'.  I'm not a fool, and I won't be played for one.  In a fantasy novel, that shit gets you killed.

Why am I telling you this?  Because I raised myself with books.  I didn't learn a damn bit of that from any real person in my life.  Not my parents, grandparents, family friends, or relatives.  I raised myself on books.

Now, what kind of person would I have been if I didn't read about people who have the confidence and courage to pursue their goals and ambitions?  What if I had chosen to read YA and had only Mary-Sues who lacked self-confidence, strong opinions, and strength of mind to do what needs to be done for themselves?  I am relieved to say: I don't know.

What I am not relieved to say is: what other people out there are raising themselves to the standards of these types of females in YA books?

So here ends my PSA for Authors: Stop Making Insecure Female Leads

Girls don't actually relate to them, and they could be setting a far worse example than you can imagine.


Overall Opinion:

The premise was spectacular: a girl awakening abilities in others so they can save the world from a fiery purge.  The execution was a flop.  Instead of revolving around the mission, this book got caught in the murky romance and all of the drama it entailed.  Though some of the characters were great, the female lead absolutely ruined this book.  When one of your narrators is that bad, there is no saving a story like this.

Personally, I don't recommend this to anyone.  But that's for you to judge.  I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment