Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Tattered Travelers


"Tattered Travelers"

A Book Sharing Idea

Cover of Ivy by Hollow Ryan © 2015


As I have made you all very aware of, as of October 31, 2015, I released my novel, Ivy. You may also have learned that I'm new to this whole marketing gig and am still learning the ropes. But I'd be lying if I said I wrote for profit. (I mean, it'd be nice, and I would love to quit my day job––if I could force myself to do it, because I love that, too––but it's not a priority.) I write because it's what I'm meant to do. It's a part of me that is irrevocable and must be adhered to.

This will sound corny as all hell, but I just like sharing my stories. There's nothing I love more than introducing my friends (you could call them characters, but there is nothing imaginary about them to me) to other people and gushing about everything that happens to them. If you've ever had a prolonged conversation with me after reading one of my books, you will get sick of me and my books. No joke. We will discuss everything that happened in those pages and how the characters reacted.

So, back to the topic: Tattered Travelers. This is an idea that has cropped up in my head since long before Ivy was even edited. It was this daydream I had to just leave a signed copy of my book laying somewhere, hoping someone would pick it up, take it home, read it, and then leave it somewhere else for another curious soul to find. Clearly, there are flaws in this idea.

One, it is way too easy for an abandoned book to be torn apart and left for the trash. People don't always have a proper respect for novels and it wouldn't bother them in the slightest to intentionally ruin a book and throw it away. So, alas, I have little faith in this working out.

Two, people like to keep books. They're not exactly good at passing them on. Especially if it is a book they really like. (Okay, I'm talking about me here. Mostly. I mean, I recommend books all the time. Just don't ask to borrow mine. Because I obviously have trust issues.)

Three, reading is subjective.  If one person picks up the book, reads the back, decides they don't like it … then what?  Will they pass it to someone they think will like it?  Will they leave it somewhere for someone else to find?  What will happen to my precious?!

My biggest fear, I guess, is that the book will reach the end of the line somewhere.  Either in a dumpster, someone's home, or donated to some library or little bookstore.  (Which, I mean, I'm fine with it being in bookstores and all of that, but I would like those to be other copies.  Not my Tattered Travelers, please.)

The daydream I have concocted for my Tattered Travelers is turning out to be something a little more realistic.  So here's how the dream is going to become reality:

I am going to pick a set amount of books.  Inside each of these will be a bookmark, announcing your magnificent luck in finding one of these traveling beauties.  This bookmark will also explain the rules of your new companion and what must be done once you've hit the last page.  Now, I will take these precious copies and send them to five people I can trust to keep them moving.  In return, I know they will choose people they trust to keep the tradition.  So on and so forth.

As I am still working this all out, I'm just going to post here what I might put on the back:

**Congratulations, you've found a Tattered Traveler! The rules are simple and I'll explain them now:

1. Read the back and decide if you want to journey inside.

2. From cover to cover, read what you will find.

3. When you're finished, send the bookmark back to the first page.

4. Then find a spot to sign your name.

5. If you wish, a picture would be best.

6. Then send it on its way to start again.

Any questions that you have, just find my author and, please, do ask!**

(** Mark beginning and end of bookmark **)

So, that's my idea.  And I think it will work.  Why?  Because if you love a book so much that you want to share it with everyone, you ought to have a book TO be shared with everyone.  As my best friend said when I was pitching this idea to her: Loving a book the way it's meant to be loved!

Let's love our books, and set them free. If you're some of the first chosen to receive these travelers, don't forget to autograph it, post a pic, and send it on its way!


No comments:

Post a Comment