Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Book Review: Cage of Destiny by Jennifer Anne Davis



Cage of Destiny by Jennifer Anne Davis
Reign Publishing (c) 2017
Paperback
Fantasy
Reviewed by Leah


While I usually always write my own summaries for books I'm reviewing, there's one line from the publisher-provided summary that I absolutely adore:

She can either embrace her destiny or be caged by it.

No sentiment could be more perfect for this book.


Summary:

Allyssa is a survivor. After the horrors of Russek and nursing a broken heart, she is at last given a choice: She doesn't have to come home.

The decision to walk away and lead a normal life is a tempting one, though it means leaving behind everyone and everything she has ever known or loved. Unfortunately, Allyssa is hardly given time to consider it before her past crashes into her present once more.

Now, everything she has left behind is everything she must run back to if she hopes to eliminate her enemy once and for all.

If the choice is between saving her kingdom and saving herself, Allyssa will never have to choose.


Review:

It is always hardest to review books that you like. This is because your first response is to tell everyone everything that happens. Which, in a review, is probably the rudest thing you could do. So I will refrain as much as I can from the gushing.

That being said...

This was perfect!

It is as character-driven as the rest, and it puts a lot of things into perspective. (For Allyssa and the reader.) This is Allyssa's "I'm figuring shit out for myself" book. She knows who she wants to be as a person and leader, and she's figuring out how to become that person. It's a wonderful transformation to watch as she puts her priorities in order and goes about figuring out the rest. She is every inch her mother's daughter, and I adore her for it.

Since I don't want to spoil anything, I'm just going to drop some tiny little hints:

Kerdan is back.

Odar is back.

Darmik and Neco are back with their epic bromance!

Nathenek is back to his sneaky, sneaky ways.

Probably the best cast of all the books, to be honest. It's a good time. You should read it. *wink, wink*

Okay, I digress. (But seriously, go read it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment