Saturday, March 22, 2014

Opinions Reside Here

You are forewarned: this is a site for my friends and I to share our opinions.  Our opinions.  As in: we get to post what we think.  Which means (and here's where I get confrontational), you have no right to be offended by anything that you read here.  And I'll tell you why:

An opinion is defined as a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Focus on that for me.  Just for a minute.

Okay, as living creatures, we all have opinions.  We have a fundamental right to think what we want about something.  Fact or fiction.  It's inevitable and we have the right to our own opinions.  We even have a right to express them.

Just remember: we also have a right to disagree.

No two people have the same exact opinion on anything.  And that's a good thing.  What kind of world would we live in if we were all the same?  Our opinions are allowed and encouraged to be different.  It is how we grow as human beings: by learning to look at differing opinions and finding a way to accept one another as separate and unique individuals.

You have the right to your opinion.  I have a right to mine.  We each have the right to disagree.

Simple right?

One catch…

You do not have the right to be offended by my opinion.  It's mine.  Meant for me and no other.  Based on experiences/emotions/beliefs/circumstances, or whatever other criteria I've chosen to base it on, that relate solely to me.

You're very much entitled to disagree.  I encourage this.  And we'll have a nice, long, grown-up discussion about the differences in our opinions.  There's nothing like a good, healthy debate.

However, I'm not going to tolerate individuals who think it's okay to get upset that I said/thought something they didn't like.  It's not your call if what I say or think is right or wrong.  And I'm certainly not going to allow you to think it is.

Now, you're probably asking yourself why I even bothered to post this long and confrontational missive.  Well, the reason is deplorably simple: reviewers are under attack.  Especially those who have shared harsh, truthful, sarcastic, or vitriol reviews.  Hell, even those who merely write a somewhat negative review have been pummeled into submission.

This will not happen here.  I won't allow it.  Because no one has the right to tell me that my thoughts/reactions/opinions are wrong.

Undoubtedly, I will write some 'unpopular' reviews here.  And while I welcome/relish comments, I won't be told that my opinions are wrong.  By anyone.

Hence the reason this is being posted right away.  To serve as a warning.

No comments:

Post a Comment